Qatar to take on Iraq in Gulf Cup opener
Khalifa Stadium to host opening match and final; Duhail Stadium also confirmed as a venue.
Qatar will take on Iraq in the opening match of the 24thArabian Gulf Cup at the Khalifa International Stadium on November 26, the Qatar Football Association (QFA) announced on Friday.
Releasing the fixtures of the tournament, the QFA said matches would also be played at the Abdullah bin Khalifa Stadium (Al Duhail Sports Club).
Groupings and fixtures
- Group A: Qatar, UAE, Yemen, Iraq.
- Group B: Oman, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain.
There will be two matches on the opening day, with the Qatar-Iraq Group A match followed by another match in the same group, between UAE and Yemen at the Duhail stadium.
The Group B action will begin on November 27, with Oman playing Bahrain and Saudi Arabia taking on Kuwait. Both matches will be in Duhail.
The group matches will conclude on December 2. The semifinals will be on December 5, followed by the final on December 8, at the Khalifa Stadium. The semifinal venue is yet to be decided.
- Nov 26: Qatar vs Iraq Khalifa Stadium 7.30 pm; UAE vs Yemen Duhail Stadium 9.30 pm
- Nov 27: Oman vs Bahrain Duhail Stadium 5.30 pm; Saudi Arabia vs Kuwait Duhail Stadium 8.00 pm
- Nov 28: Rest day.
- Nov 29: UAE vs Iraq Khalifa Stadium 5.30 pm; Yemen vs Qatar Khalifa Stadium 8.00 pm
- Nov 30: Kuwait vs Oman Duhail Stadium 5.30 pm; Bahrain vs Saudi Arabia Duhail Stadium 8.00 pm
- Dec 1: Rest day
- Dec 2: Qatar vs UAE Khalifa Stadium 5.30 pm; Kuwait vs Bahrain Khalifa Stadium 8.00 pm
- Yemen vs Iraq Duhail Stadium 5.30 pm; Oman vs Saudi Arabia Duhail Stadium 8.00 pm
- Dec 3 and Dec 4: Rest days
- Dec 5: Semifinals: Winner of Group A vs Runners up of Group B; Winner of Group B vs Runners up of Group A.
- Dec 6 and Dec 7 rest days.
- Dec 8: Final: Khalifa Stadium