Receding Waves edges past Astley Hall in feature event
Casamento rides home two winners for Ghazali and Al Kuwari in seventh meeting of racing season.
Receding Waves, ridden by Marco Casamento, won the feature event of the day – the Um Al Houl Cup, a 1200M dirt track race — at the Qatar Racing and Equestrian Club (QERC) on Wednesday.
It was the second win of the day for owner Khalifa Bin Sheail KH J Al Kuwari, trainer Mohammed Ghasim Ghazali and Casamento.
The trio had earlier savoured victory on Perigee in the day’s fifth race – the Thoroughbred Handicap (Class 3) run over 1900M.
The main event was not an easy one for the six-year-old bay colt Receding Waves. He was pushed hard by Astley Hall, a six-year-old chestnut gelding also owned by Al Kuwari. The second of the three Ghazali-trained horses in the race, was however, just a bit slower on the day and lost by half a length.
Another Ghazali-trained horse Izzthatright finished sixth out of seven runners in the same race.
The Purebred Arabian Claiming race over 1800M was another which had QR 100,000 up for grabs.
Akmar, a 4-year-old grey colt piloted by Soufianne Saadi, won the race one and a half lengths ahead of Hathlool, a 4-year-old bay colt. The winner was trained by Hadi Nasser Rashid Al Ramzani and owned by Mohammed Nasser R A Al-Naimi.
- PUREBRED ARABIAN MAIDEN PLATE 1,900M
- 1. Fuwairat; RB: Eduardo Pedroza; TB: IS Al Malki; OB: FHJ Al Thani; WB: 1.75L; T: 02:14.84
- LOCAL THOROUGHBRED MAIDEN PLATE 1,700M
- 1. Dorman Bu Thailia; RB: Ivan Rossi; TB: Stefano Ibido; OB: AM Al Hajri; WB: 0.75L; T: 01:53.20
- PUREBRED ARABIAN GRADUATION PLATE 1,700M
- 1. Baker De Saularie; RB: Ryan Curatolo; TB: OE Al Dafea; OB: OE Al Dafea; WB: 0.25L; T: 01:59.78
- THOROUGHBRED HANDICAP (Fillies and Mares) 1,200M
- 1. Bint Saffian; RB: Meteb Ali Al Marri; TB: B Al Balushi; OB: Al Azaq Stable; WB: NO; T: 01:13.59
- THOROUGHBRED HANDICAP (Class 3) 1,900M
- 1. Perigee; RB: Marco Casamento; TB: MG Ghazali; OB: KSJ Al Kuwari; WB: 2.50L; T: 02:02.60
- PUREBRED ARABIAN CLAIMING RACE 1,800M
- 1. Akmar; RB: Soufianne Saadi; TB: HNR Al Ramzani; OB: MN Al Naimi; WB: 1.50L; T: 02:08.09
- LOCAL PUREBRED ARABAN CONDITIONS 1,200M
- 1. Lekhraib; RB: JP Guillambert; TB: MG Ghazali; OB: Injaaz Stud; WB: NO; T: 1:19.81
- UMM AL HOUL CUP 1,200M
- 1. Receding Waves; RB: Marco Casamento; TB: MG Ghazali; OB: KSJ Al Kuwari; WB: 0.50L; T: 01:12.28
- Note: RB=Ridden by; TB=Trained by; OB=Owned by; WB=Won by; T=Time